Quite a while back (over 3 years), I'd sent AWE a list of questions
received the following answers. I thought I'd finally get around to posting
them with the list. Maybe our moderator (John QvT) and/or Ville can put
them in the FAQ of their web sites?
The most important answer is #13, which states that if neither army
field combat breaks then only the side taking the greater losses is
required to retreat.
The answers were provided by Bruno Scorrialle (sp?) of AWE.
1. Q: A fleet is based in Brindisi. When it leaves port, may it enter
either the Adriatic Sea or the Ionian Sea (which both border the province)?
Or must it sail out to the Adriatic Sea first, as the port symbol is north
of the Adriatic/Ionian Sea border as drawn on the map? In general, may
fleets move from port to any sea area bordering the province, or are they
restricted to sea areas bordering the port?
A: OK to move to any sea area bordering the province. Exception: if
are two coasts (i.e. Panama colony; either East or West Coast).
2. Q: A fleet is moving on the Rest-of-the-World map. It moves through
discovered sea areas, and attempts to enter (discover) a third,
undiscovered sea area. It must roll on the discovery table, which may
result in ship losses. Must it also roll for attrition for its initial move
into the first two sea areas? Or roll attrition for all three sea areas?
A: Roll on the discovery table; that's enough!
3. Q: Are Naval Detachment maintenance costs paid at the Veteran or
4: Q: During the Random Events phase of Turn 2 (1495), Event 3
(Turkish/Venetian Commercial Rivalry) is rolled. Turkey is not at war with
the Mamelukes and doesn't own Alexandria. Therefore, Venice doesn't get a
temporary CB. Is Event 3 considered played, and crossed off?Is it
considered not played, and still available later if rolled again and the
conditions are met? For this turn, is it counted as one of the three events
rolled, or should we re-roll for a new event?
A: Event 3 is considered played. Apply the event when Turkey owns Alexandria.
5. Q: A Spanish Army with Tercio Technology attacks a French Army with
Reniassance Technology on the Fire Table. Do the Spanish roll on CRT B or
A: CRT B.
6. Q: A "10" rolled on the CRT B causes a two-morale drop on the enemy.
same roll on CRT C causes a three-morale drop. Why the higher morale loss
on the worse table?
A: "B" is higher casualties, "C" higher morale loss. Normal case.
7. Q: During Period I and Period II, the Venice player gets to place
Dutch commercial fleet levels on the map. Does Venice have to roll on the
Commercial Action Table and get an "S" (Successful) result to place these
fleets? Or are the placements automatically successful, without needing a
A: Automatically successful.
8. Q: In 1492 and 1525 scenarios, Spain starts with the Atlantique Trade
Center, even though Spain only has 3 levels of commercial fleet in
qualifying areas, while England has 8 levels. Does Spain get to count
Netherlands fleet levels in her total for determining Trade Center control
before the Dutch Revolt?
9. Q: In Period I, Random Event 6 (Habsburgs Inherit Hungary) is rolled.
Hungary is already at war with Turkey from a Declaration of War in a
previous turn. Does the war end, or is turkey now at war with the
Habsburgs? If the war ends, are Turkish troops required to leave Hungary
immediately, or during their next move?
A: If the event occurs before 1535, and is at war by Turkey, Hungary
weaker. Its status does not change. It is not yet Habsburg (it will be in
1535). War in your game goes on without any change. If Turkey wins, Hungary
is completely conquered.
10: Q: In Section 34.5G of the rules, there is a +2 modifier to activate
minor if "the minor borders an enemy player". Does the modifier apply if
the minor borders an active enemy minor ally? An inactive enemy minor ally?
A: Active enemy minor ally (Enemy when war erupts).
11. Q: A minor receives a Major Campaign as a reinforcement. May the
controlling player use the Major Campaign to move all the player's units,
or is its use restricted to the minor's forces only?
A: Minor forces only.
12. Q: If Barbary Coast privateers destroy Christian commercial fleet
levels, does Turkey receive the 2 gold pieces/level destroyed? Does Spain
receive income from Turkish commercial fleet levels destroyed by the
Knights of Malta privateer?
A: Only if the minors are vassals.
13. Q: An English Army lands on the Azores which are owned by Spain.
has a detachment present. In the ensuing battle, neither side breaks.
According to the rules, both sides must retreat. Are both sides destroyed?
Could either retreat onto a fleet in an adjacent sea zone,if it was present
and large enough to transport the retreating force?
A: Well, there is a change in the Rules. If neither side breaks, the
with more casualties retreats. If none, attacker retreats.
14. Q: Rule 59.8C states that a Level 6 Colony is a European province
all respects, including supply. Are Level 1 through Level 5 Colonies supply
sources? Are Trading Posts supply sources? If these aren't supply sources,
where do colonial armies and detachments draw supply from?
A: Yes (to the first and second questions), because they are ports.
15. Q: Must an army or detachment be in supply to roll for suppressing
A: No. But be afraid by forced retreat...
16. Q: Are fleets and and naval detachments always in supply?
17. Q: In Period I, Spain is allowed 2 Manufactures, plus 1 Habsburg
manufacture. Why would Spain build a Habsburg manufacture? Does Spain get
any benefit from a Habsburg manufacure?
A: Not really; only the Technology Metal bonus.It's because later the
may become Austrian.
18. Q: Spain starts Period I with a 2 Tissus Manufacture in Flanders.
this count as one Manufacture or two against their 2 Manufacture maximum?
A: One. Maximum is per counter.
19. Q: France has Savoie in its Entry-to-War box on the track. The benefits
to Entry-to-War are explained in the rules. Question: does the player also
benefit from the advantages described by the lower boxes (such as Royal
Marriage, Subsidy or Military Alliance) as explained in the rules?
A: Yes, but he receives nothing as Marriage or Subsidies.
20. Q: Russia has Sweden in its Subsidies box. Does Russia roll for
Subsidies each turn Sweden is in the Subsidies box, or does Russia only
roll the first time Sweden enters the box?
A: Only once!
21. Q: If a minor country is in a player's vassal box, and the minor
European gold mine, does the player get the income from the mine?
22. Q: How do Army size limits work? For example, an A+ army for Spain
Period I has a limit of 20SP, divided into 12I, 6C and 2A. Is the maximum
number of Infantry SP set at twelve, or could the army have more than
twelve Infantry, as long as the total army size remains at 20 or less? For
example, would an army of 15I, 4C and 1A be legal?